Jackson County Golf Club
CONSTITUTION, BYLAWS AND
JACKSON COUNTY GOLF CLUB
P.O. BOX 791
SYLVA, NORTH CAROLINA 28779
Article I – NAME
The name of the club shall be the Jackson County Golf Club.
Article II – PURPOSE
FIRST: To stimulate interest in golf in Western North Carolina by bringing together a group of golfers desirous of forming a golfing organization.
SECOND: To promote and foster among the members a closer bond and fraternity for their joint and mutual benefit, and to promote and conserve the best interests and true spirit of the game of golf as embodied in its ancient and honorable traditions.
THIRD: To encourage conformance to the USGA Rules of Golf by creating a representative authority.
FOURTH: To maintain a uniform system of handicapping as set forth in the USGA Handicap System and issue USGA Handicap Indexes to the members.
FIFTH: To provide an authoritative body to govern and conduct club competitions.
Article III - MEMBERSHIP
1. Membership shall be available to all (men and/or women) 16 years of age or older. There shall be at least fifty (50) members.
2. Memberships in the club are individual and non-transferable.
3. Only golfers with a reasonable and regular opportunity to play golf with fellow members and who can personally return scores for posting may be members and receive USGA Handicap Indexes from this club.
4. Membership confers no voice in the operation of the golf courses, clubhouses, nor any facilities of the courses, if applicable.
5. Memberships in the club are for a calendar year only, with all memberships expiring on December 31 of that year.
6. The fiscal year for the club will be January 1 through December 31.
7. Each candidate for membership shall be proposed and seconded by two (2) active members in good standing. The Board of Directors shall act upon each proposal by vote and two (2) negative votes shall disqualify any candidate.
8. The Board of Directors may confer honorary membership upon those whom they feel have contributed to the advancement of golf, or the club.
The unanimous affirmative vote of the Board shall be required to approve such action.
9. In the event that any member of the club shall commit any act which reflects discredit or disrepute thereon or shall refuse to comply with the rules and regulations adopted by the Board of Directors or the duly appointed officers, such member shall be subject to suspension or expulsion after fifteen (15) day written notice and the right to be heard, and a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the Board of Directors at any regular meeting or special meeting called for such purpose.
10. The Bi-annual meeting of the Board of Directors shall be held by the fifteenth (15th) day of May and October. The Board of Directors shall provide for the holding of such other meetings as may be deemed necessary or desirable, and they shall call special meetings upon written petition signed by no less than twenty five (25) percent of the membership.
11. A legal quorum at any meeting shall be 10% of the membership present in person. Each active member in good standing shall be entitled to one vote.
12. The Board of Directors shall establish all membership fees and dues from time to time in such amounts as they deem to be adequate to operate and maintain the club. Member shall be liable for dues until their written resignation has been receive and accepted. All monies collected shall accrue to the benefit of the membership.
Article IV – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1. The Board of Directors shall consist of five (5) members in good standing of the Jackson County Golf Club and they shall exercise all powers of management of the club not specifically excepted by the By-Laws.
2. Prior to the October meeting, the Board of Directors shall appoint a nominating committee consisting of five (5) members of the organization. Prior to the October meeting, this committee shall submit to the Board and shall post a list of nominee to fill any vacancies for the term of office beginning on the day of the meeting. Names of other members in good standing may be nominated by petition signed by at least 10% of the members and submitted to the Board at least two (2) weeks prior to the October meeting. At least one (1) week prior to the October meeting, a list of all candidates nominated shall be mailed to each member at their last known address.
3. Voting will be by ballot and those candidates receiving the greatest number of votes cast will be declared elected. The Board shall appoint a committee of three (3) judges who are not members of the Board or candidates for election to supervise the election.
4. The Board of Directors shall be elected for a two (2) year term. The Board of Directors shall serve staggered terms. Two (2) Board members shall be elected one (1) year and the remaining three (3) Board members shall be elected the following year. Board members may be re-elected for additional terms.
5. The Board of Directors shall meet at such times and places as they may select and a majority of the Board shall constitute a quorum at any meeting
6. In the case of any vacancy through death, resignation, disqualification or other cause, the remaining directors, even though less than a quorum, may elect a successor by majority vote to hold office for the un-expired term of the director whose place shall be vacant, and until the election of his successor.
Article V – OFFICERS AND COMMITTEES
1. The Board of Directors shall meet and elect the officers within thirty (30) days after the October meeting and election.
2. The officers shall consist of president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer, and their duties shall be such as their titles indicate or such as may be assigned to them respectively from time to time.
3. The Board of Directors shall authorize and define the powers and duties of all committees. The president shall appoint chairmen and members of all committees, and shall be an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee.
4. Except as modified by the Board of Directors, all appointed committees should function as recommended in the USGA Golf Committee Manual. The following committees shall be appointed each year, with such other committees, as the president may deem necessary or advisable.
A.Tournament Committee – To arrange and schedule with the management of any golf course as necessary, and conduct all intra-club and inter-club competitions.
B.Handicap Committee – Composed primarily of members with the responsibility to establish a fair and proper system of handicaps in accordance with procedures set forth in the USGA Handicap System Manual.
C. Membership Committee – To investigate and act upon all applications for membership and to recommend appropriate action to the Board of Directors.
D. USGA Rules (enforcement/appeals Committee – To insure that members abide by established USGA and/or Jackson County Golf Club rules. To investigate and/or determine appropriate action (s) regarding suspected violation of the aforementioned rules.
Article VI – AMENDMENTS TO THE BY-LAWS
The Board of Directors shall have the power to repeal or amend any of these BY-Laws provided that such actions shall not be effective until approved by a majority vote of the members of the
Jackson County Golf Club at a meeting held in accordance with the provisions contained herein.
This Constitution and By-Laws for the Jackson County Golf Club is hereby approved
ARTICLE 111 (1) Membership shall be available to all men and/or women 16 years of age or older. The club shall follow the rules established by the Carolinas Golf Association or other such governing body of the JCGC as to the minimum number of members needed to operate as a club. ( adopted on October 15, 2015)